Team Judy was built by the Redemptorist Congregation between 1904 and 1907. Redemptorist seminarians came to the Mount for their theology studies, after spending seven years in initial formation. The seminary was a self-sufficient community—even the wine used for Mass was made on the property. Over the years, neighboring sections of land were donated to the Redemptorists, bringing the original 235 acres to its current 400 acres. Due to the diminishing number of seminarians, students have been trained at the Washington Theological Union in Washington, D.C. since 1985. Since then, the Redemptorist Retreat Ministry has grown steadily.
Our center is one of the largest in the world, with hallways more than 400 feet long. We have 136 beds in 92 bedrooms, single or double occupancy, with shared baths. We also have several small and large conference rooms, with seating ranging from just a few to 250 people.
Our large castle-like building sits on top of a hill overlooking the Hudson River. We have miles of roadways and walking paths that our visitors enjoy. There are also several outdoor statues, grottos and ponds, and an outdoor Stations of the Cross pathway.
Thousands of Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists and members of other Christian churches and other major religions come to the Mount each year. It all began more than 100 years ago. From the New York Times, May 22, 1908: